Wednesday, November 4, 2009

When the Pig Flu

It's quite a novelty for me to be in the "risk factor" group for anything. I normally don't bother with the seasonal flu shot at all, let alone special supplementary flu shots of particularly virulent strains such as H1N1. But I'm not the only one deciding things like this these days. No, I don't mean the little 2.5 ounce fetus. I mean my husband.

So when the center called up and asked if I wanted to be one of the lucky few with a sore arm, I said sure. I even made an appointment for the next day.

A little while later, they called me back and said actually they didn't have any vaccine. Then they called back and said they might have some, so did I still want to come?

In my first pregnancy the OBGYN nurse emphatically urged me to get the seasonal flu shot. So I agreed and signed up at my work's flu shot clinic, only to be told that pregnant women couldn't get flu shots. I wish they'd get their story straight.

Anyway; the upshot is that I am still "unprotected" aside from my robust health and strong immune system, from swine flu, even though I am in the vaunted Top Four, even though the news media is pushing out stories daily of women and children breathing their last, and even though the hospital has some vaccine but maybe doesn't, they're not sure. I asked them to call me if they ever figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment